Friday, September 7, 2012

10 Years

Sometimes I just can't believe how fast time has flown. It is the beginning of September 2012. Where did the summer go? I am already sweeping leaves off our back porch and trying to save as many summer goodies as I can for the upcoming winter. But I do love the start of fall. One thing about this time of year is that it always makes me want to tell one of my favorite stories. The story of "how we met". (side note, our friends tell us to make a romantic short story out of this so if you go stealing my plot I expect some recognition, financial payment, or at least props in your dedication section)

My story consists of a few important ideas: it was the fall that I moved out of my parents' home -  Freshmen Move in at college, and meeting my soulmate... can you believe that all of these things can happen at once? Well they can, and is yet additional support of the statement "I am a lucky girl".

September 2002 I met my (future) husband in a dorm room of a friend from high school (I actually only knew three people at my new school so I was up for making friends). I came over to see his dorm and meet his two "random" roommates. I wouldn't call it love at first sight, but it was easy to see that I wouldn't have any trouble becoming friends with these guys.

The night continued, several random kids from all over the state of Ohio sitting around chatting amongst slightly unpacked containers and one quietly strummed guitar. (Isn't it always the guy with the guitar? *swoon*) We definitely sang some Dave Mathews and we all promised to hang out again more during our fall classes.

Flash forward a bit, and years passed with being the best of buds with my favorite fella. You know the friend in college that you always go to eat with or cook dinner at each other's apartments. You somehow end up running into them at the perfect time to invite them along to just about anything. (Late night snack runs, 45 minute drives to the nearest mall, walks to the library) We had met each other's families and visited hometowns because of various crazy schemes or similar interests. It's the friend that you never think to date - until you know that there is no other option.

So after three years of just being friends we realized that sometimes friends decide to not be friends anymore, which for us was a bit of an awkward start of dating. It was the best decision we've ever made.

Well, making the guitar he was playing on the first night we met the actual guest book at our wedding... that may have been the best decision we've ever made.

Engagement Photo taken by Life in Balance Photography



No comments:

Post a Comment