Monday, June 15, 2015

Whole30 Meal Reflection {and simple meal suggestion}



I'll have to tell you that during this round of the Whole30 I am a hungry person! However, I'm eating well and really enjoying it. Sometimes I find it a little difficult to decide what to make - and other times I just tell myself - protein, veggie and a good fat is all I need. Therefore we often are just eating eggs with simple veggies and avocado. And sweet potatoes - always sweet potatoes.





The "Italian Bowl" is one of our favorite dishes which is Whole30 compliant and on a regular rotation in our home dining experiences.

It is actually very simple and we like to make it two different ways... either with beef or sausage.

We often like to use chopped sweet potatoes for our "pasta" replacement. Sometimes instead of browned ground beef or mild italian sausage - yes, just make sure it is sugar-free and all that good stuff - I make compliant meatballs {similar to this}.

Either make your own pasta sauce {I often oven roast - similar to this} or read those labels carefully. I don't know why, but so many food manufactures want to put sugar in the jar with those tasty tomatoes!

Italian Bowl {Whole30 compliant - be sure to check your ingredients}

coconut oil
1 large sweet potato
1 pound of ground beef or mild italian sausage
1 small onion
A few garlic cloves
1 medium bell pepper
salt + pepper
tomato sauce


Brown and season meat. Chop all veggies to preference. Use coconut oil and medium heat and cook sweet potatoes. Add onions, peppers, garlic. Heat pasta sauce. Once everything is desired temperature and softness scoop up your vegetable and protein portions and top with tomato sauce. I like to store leftovers separately. It keeps the potatoes and the protein flexible for various dishes later in the day. Because you're probably going to hungry again soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment