Wednesday, August 26, 2015

my canning story



good morning! this summer produce and canning has been so, so good to me. i know i always say that i love seeing that produce all pretty in a jar... but i really do. i think i have loved favorites foods in a jar for a long time.




it probably stems from my first memories of canning. that's right friends - making great grandma's pasta sauce in the kitchen with my momma! i mean, we're talking THE family recipe. we honestly call it "the sauce" or just "sauce" and everyone in the family knows what we're talking about. even in+after college my sister and i visit home at the same time to help my mom make huge batches. with my dad sitting at the counter telling stories, passing out critiques of cooking style and hopping up from his barstool to stir the huge pot every few minutes.




so then flash forward a few years and i start craving some domestic hobbies. something that is valuable for our family life, something that could be used intentionally in our home and gives great enjoyment. i knew canning would be just the thing. i started out making simple freezer jam then cooked fruit jams + butters. after a few years of trying many {many} recipes i have found a bit of rhythm when it comes to what i love to can. luckily i even have a few friends who are into the idea of canning up goodies too! sometimes we work in the kitchen together, go to local farm u-picks, or trade various canned up foods once we were done making our own double batches!




there is even more goodness knowing that i can continue canning goodies for a bit longer this season. looking forward to some apple goodness this fall. i'm planning on making at least one batch of apple butter for my brother-in-law... what are your apple saving favorites?




* i've added this post to Our Simple Homestead Blog Hop::click here:: to head over and check out all the great information and stories from other bloggers! Thanks to all the hosts and bloggers for sharing in the fun!


6 comments:

  1. Hi Christine,
    I have been canning too, wanting to get back to our roots, and provide healthy stuff for my family. And, guess what? I live in Ohio too! Nice to meet you...
    Lori from LL Farm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lori! I'm so glad to meet you too. Sounds like we have many things in common! Thank you for stopping by my blog - I noticed your little chick photo cards and they gave me a little giggle this afternoon! Enjoy your day! :)

      Delete
  2. Christine...canning gets in your blood and once you start you can't stop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracy! So true and we just love it - don't we?! :) Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  3. I had only canned a few jars of strawberry jam every year. This year I added a few other jams to my list and also some cherries. I found myself looking at store ads and farmers markets for good deals on produce so I could can them! Hopefully I will have a garden going soon and grow my own. I could use a good pasta sauce recipe to can! *wink*wink*!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Connie, it sounds like you have many goodies to cherish this winter! Hm, I might have to plan on sharing a good sauce recipe I know! *elbow nudge*
      Have a great day! And thanks for stopping by my blog!
      -Christine

      Delete