Monday, January 12, 2015

Canning: Fruit Jam without Processed Sugar or Pectin

Let's talk about how much our family and friends seem to love jam. I mean, go crazy every time we see them as they are asking me about making more peach jam. To the point where it was one of the most requested Christmas gifts of 2014 from me!

You know why we love it so very, very much... I'm guessing it is all the sugar. Well and super fresh Ohio fruit!

Over the past few seasons I've been searching for more natural ways to sweeten {without overly processed sugar}. Local honey has been my best bet. I often use sweet fruits, local honey or Ohio maple syrup in many of my baking or sweetening needs. This made me wonder - especially after all my Whole 30 considerations - could I make this year's jam a little less sugary? And maybe even with something other than {mountains} of sugar?

And happily I was able to try it out! My favorite two recipes from this past summer are below. Both of the jams are plenty sweet! However, there is a slight flavor of honey - as that was my added bit o' sweetness - which everyone has really enjoyed so far!

In related news, I'm pretty pleased with the amount of jam I made this past summer. Plenty for Christmas gifting and more than enough for us to enjoy through the winter months!

Better bookmark these recipes for next sunny berry-pickin' summer days!

Honey Sweetened Peach + Vanilla Bean Jam {with Food in Jars}

Canning Jam without Pectin or Refined Sugar {with 100 Days of Real Food}

No comments:

Post a Comment