Friday, January 25, 2013

A Visit to Elevator Brewery & Draught Haus






A few months ago {a little late on posting this... but I still wanted to share} we went to visit friends near Columbus, Ohio. After hanging out and enjoying some company that I don't get to see very often, my husband and I had a bit of a "date" over at Elevator Brewery and Draught Haus

First impression: We've been to this lovely establishment before. We will probably go again. I like the big historical buildings in this part of Columbus and the bar is just plain beautiful.





Service: Very good. We've always had nice servers at Elevator. They are knowledgeable about the menu and offer suggestions. I applaud them for this as I think they get a lot of jerk customers in there. Maybe this is due to the draught haus having lots of customers and the sheer volume requires that some come off as not my favorite. Or maybe this is because people are hungry and need a brew when they walk in... or  the "jerk customers" need other patrons to know how important they are. Surely these observations are debatable on a case by case basis. {I will make a point so this isn't just some rant about rude people.} My point is, remember to be nice to your wait staff - they work hard and don't want you to be hungry either. Plus if you are out to eat with people who love you, the other patrons already know that you are important. They don't need to hear your stories of self-involvement from three tables over. Calm down and drink a pint.



 Food: I love the appetizers at this place! They often have a soup or salad that can go well with their seasonal brew. I highly recommend the corn brats, the hummus, and their almond crusted chicken salad. But really, all the food has been great!

Prices & Other Notes: Of course you pay for what you get. I'd say this is one of the more expensive "draught haus"es that I've written about, however the food is quality. And dinner is the meal where you get some higher dollar meals. It isn't outlandish, but this is honestly a restaurant (this means do not expect "pub room" prices). 

This is a place great for families, couples or larger groups of friends. During a different visit, we had 16 of us meet up to play pool and get drinks. The staff was very accommodating. We were served food and drinks in the billiard space and were able to just hang out for a few hours. We decided to leave after the place got busier, so I'm not sure if lots of people shoot pool while they are there.







As for the beer: When we visit the draught haus, we always order the specialty beer, because it is the only time we can try it. However, some of their mainstays I would recommend: Bleeding Buckeye Red Ale (it's an amber) the Dark Horse Lager (so smooth!)and Flying Hydrant (if you are in the mood for something light after all those appetizers).  

I've enjoyed all types of Elevator brew... they are tasty. And you can find them lots of places (i.e. chain grocery stores with good beer selection). So if you ever come across them in your local grocery, pick up a six pack (mix and get a variety to try if you are able). It is important for us to support our more local breweries in bigger stores... your dollars influence the way those shelves are stocked. So give it a try. You'll be glad you did.








No comments:

Post a Comment