Thursday, January 17, 2013

Frugal Living: Considerations for Eliminating Debt

Okay, you hate it. I hate it. No one likes to think about "budgets".

Ugh. Get out of here... right?

Well,  I'm no financial wizard. But my husband and I have made some clear choices, guidelines and plans to {hopefully} save money and cut down on our debts.


The gist of the story is this:
You start with an unexpected savings fund. You buy what you need. You pay off what you owe.

How drastic you go... well, that is your choice.

We've already kicked several debt increasing habits over the last year or so. We often cook at home, J packs his lunch most days of the week, we rarely spend high dollars on weekend entertainment. We basically cut out our weekly stop at the coffee shop.


Here are some links I found very inspiring when initiating the conversation of setting financial goals and planning to eliminate debt for our family:


"Start a Debt Free Life" on Kanelstrand: Simple Living Chronicles

And Then We Saved Blog with Anna {who is interviewed in the previous link - listed above}

Eliminate and Avoid High Interest Debt {Rule # 4 of 14} with Trent from the Simple Dollar Blog


Already on an organized budget? Try 50 Tips for Frugal Living with Leo Babauta


I'll continue this conversation in a new post - Frugal Living: Eliminating Debt Part II... because apparently I had more to say than I ever thought I would about living within your means and paying off debt.

What types of resources assist your family in making saving plans? Do you have a favorite way to cut costs or work out a monthly budget?



No comments:

Post a Comment